Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Best Worst of 90's Cover Gimmicks Week, Day #7

It's been a wild and crazy week, looking back at the best worst of what the 90's were able to get away with putting on the front of a comic book. We close out our week long celebration with the most interactive cover gimmick of all time.

Drum roll, please...

Superman: The Man Of Steel #30


Now, it looks pretty bland from the scan, but that's before we get to put the colorforms on it.

That's right...colorforms! Now you can create your own knock-down, drag-out fight between Superman and Lobo. It seems everyone else did in the 90's, so why not you?

And because it's a celebration, I'll break the one pic per day rule to have a little fun with this cover. Enjoy!


A special thank you to my four-year old son for agreeing to put his artistic expertise to good use with the colorforms. He had fun, as I believe his exact words were "This is the greatest arts and craft project of the day, thanks Dad!"

No, thank you 1990's!

Pencils by Jon Bogdanove
Inks by Dennis Janke
Colors by Glenn Whitmore

Superman: The Man Of Steel #30
February 1994
Copyright (c) DC Comics

5 comments:

  1. Haha, seriously? I saw the empty cover and thought it was part of the 'full cover' gimmick that ran at the end of the 90s,where all the cover text and logos were made as small as possible to allow the cover art to really stand out. But colourforms? I want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, DC actually did the colorform cover a couple of times. The World's Collide crossover with the Milestone books was the other time that comes to mind.

    Oh, and word to the wise...the colorforms don't really work 17 years after the fact. I had to use two sided-tape to get the cover that my son did to stick.

    Stil...it's an inspired cover gimmick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the colors were by Glenn Whitmore. Glad your son had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow...Jon Bogdanove!

    Thanks for the correction, and thanks for stopping by and spending a little bit of your time reading my blog.

    You have a special place within my realm of Superman fandom as one of the artists that worked on the Death of Superman storyline that turned me into a lifelong fan, so the fact that you took the time to comment really means a lot.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I am here because I had a few beers and started reliving my love for colorforms... when suddenly I realized there was an awesome Superman cover that had them. That's my story. In my world this is the best 90s gimmick cover ever! The worst might be the Tyvek covers, remember those?!... they were made from the stuff that you insulate your house with!

    ReplyDelete